Friday, October 9, 2026

Sermon from Celebration of New Ministry 10/8/26 St. Andrew’s Scotia

 

John 15:9-16

          The sun was shining on that Sunday when my two boys and I accompanied my husband, Bishop Jeremiah, on his visitation to St. James, Oneonta. I remember that it was sunny because we processed outside with a bagpipe at the beginning of the service. It was an exciting and full worship service followed by a luncheon with new faces, introductions and delicious food. The kids and I had become accustomed to these visitations, but what we were not used to was what happened next. We were invited to hop in a car and go to Fr. Dean and Olga’s home while Fr. Dean, Bishop Jeremiah and others had a meeting.

         We found ourselves sitting around the kitchen table, in their beautiful home, with their children, talking about everything … life, home, God, Jesus, backgrounds … everything. They were so kind and encouraging when I tried out my elementary level Spanish. The differences in first language meant that we were completely focused on hearing and understanding each other and soon we had easily and warmly transitioned from strangers … to new acquaintances … to friends.  And when Fr. Dean and Bishop Jeremiah returned they joined right in as we comfortably sat in the living room like familiar friends.

 

          This is the memory that came to my mind as soon as I read the Gospel reading for today. “Friends” is the word Jesus uses to refer to his followers. This is part of a longer section where Jesus is teaching the disciples everything he wants them to know before he leaves them. He knows what will happen … everything will change. There will be difficult times, they will make mistakes, they will disagree, they will miss him and they will also do great things in his name, they will spread his word like fire across the earth, they will experience his presence in a new way and they will be filled with the Holy Spirit … and so he instructs them.  And he calls them “friends” and tells them to love one another. The love of Christ is what brought me to the kitchen table of someone I had never met before that day in Oneonta, and what made us friends. The love of Christ is what brings us together today, to celebrate this coming together of not just a new priest, but an open-hearted family with not just a new church but an open-hearted community of believers.

          And it is that love of Christ that my family experienced here when we visited with my husband and listened as you all excitedly talked about a future you hoped for, and showed us around the rectory hopeful about what it could be, as so many of you worked hard together to make it a place of welcome, a place of love, a place where God’s love could turn strangers into friends. And then again when I came here and preached on a Sunday morning. You were able to see this Methodist pastor not as someone passing through accompanying my husband, but a friend in Christ, and so you welcomed me to your worship service.

          Perhaps that’s why when I heard that Fr. Dean was coming here, I was excited. It made sense. I was excited for the love and warmth I felt in their Oneonta home to fill the rectory I toured here and I was excited as I remembered the hopefulness and love I felt here- excited that you could now start a new chapter. When we left here after our official Bishop visit, my husband and I both left feeling hopeful for the ways the Holy Spirit can work through this place. As we walked through the closet full of Christian education supplies, we saw a place where people get excited about welcoming and guiding young people in the faith. There is an energy here, an energy that has brought you through difficult times, united together by the love of God, working as friends in Christ to live out your baptismal calling as faithful witnesses to the world even when you did not have a priest. Finding ways to bring together your callings and your gifts even when building repairs seemed endless and newcomers felt limited.

          But energy and hopefulness alone is not always sustainable. In this Gospel passage, Jesus is not talking about the kind of easy and innocent friendship that comes with exchanging best friend necklaces and calling it quits when things get hard. Jesus is using the word “commandment.” He says “This is my commandment, that you love one another” … and “I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.” He talks about laying down one’s life for one’s friends as he stands firmly in the direction of the cross where he will suffer and die. His words are not light or easy. This is a command. You must love one another as Christ has loved us. And we know … that is not always an easy command. It requires wisdom. The wisdom to discern what is of love and what is not. The wisdom to find ways to be the body of Christ in the world at a time when the world isn’t exactly interested in that. A wisdom that is gained from facing the difficulties and changes of life with a heart leaning on Christ. A wisdom this congregation has gained from division and uncertain future. A wisdom that Fr. Dean brings from church experience, education, a wide array of diverse living experiences and also an open heart that is not afraid to take risks or make changes when the Holy Spirit is leading.

          Sometimes I look at the world in all of its pain, hatred, war and fear and I think, “what are we doing?” What is even happening, where do we go from here, how do we carry on as followers of a justice-seeking, love-commanding, peace-seeking Savior? And sometimes I hear things about the state of the church, I see reports about the decline of church, churches closing. And as a hospital chaplain I encounter many people who are not interested in church, or don’t even really know what church is or are even angry at the idea of church. I see buildings falling apart, congregations not knowing what to do and a shortage of clergy and I think, “what are we doing?” What is even happening, where do we go from here, how do we carry on as a people instructed to gather together for worship, to take the body and blood of Christ and go forth and make disciples?

         But then I remember. I remember what the church has done in my life, I remember the many many amazing acts of love and witness and faith I have experienced and seen through the church. I remember why I love it so much. And I remember all of the ways the Holy Spirit is at work in the world in and through and around us. Softening hearts, creating friends from enemies, hope from despair and peace from chaos. And I see it. I see it every day. I see it in deep and profound conversations through my work at the hospital, these beautiful moments of connection and divine presence in the midst of pain and suffering that take my breath away. I see it in the beauty of the earth that keeps changing the colors of the leaves and shining in the sun. And I remember. That’s what we are doing. We are doing what we are commanded to do. We are loving one another. This is what Jesus tells us to do and this is what we keep doing because in that love, Christ is made known.

          And so today we celebrate. We celebrate knowing that we carry wounds and scars. We celebrate with a wisdom that comes from knowing life is not easy. We celebrate because we serve a God who loves us deeply and never leaves us. We celebrate because we know what we are commanded to do. Let us love, let us hope and let us celebrate friendship in Christ.



No comments:

Post a Comment