Tuesday, March 1, 2016

How I Spent My Summer Vacation . . . (August 2013)


                Because I am terrible about updating  my journal but still want to remember everything, I thought I would write a bit about our vacation to Montana.  I always thought the day by day mission trip reports I heard in church were kind of boring, so instead of doing something like that I thought I would talk about how our trip tasted, felt, smelled, sounded and looked. 

                Our trip to Montana tasted like: Huckleberry ice cream shared with my son as we walked around the shops of Big Fork.  It tasted like delicious reception food including Tandoori chicken kabobs, lentil curry over rice and edible flowers.  Like fresh strawberries picked out of the garden with the kind man who owned the house we stayed in.  Like homemade cheesecake as I got to know the groom’s family better.  Like chips and salsa on the back deck while sharing stories and laughter with friends I’ve known since high school.  A great big pizza we hungrily devoured after a full day at Glacier National Park (my 21 month old son even ate three big pieces!)  Delicious brunch after worshiping at Holy Spirit Episcopal Church in Missoula, served by an incredibly friendly waiter covered in tattoos and piercings (very Missoula). 
 
              It felt like horses hair as we pet them over the fence.  Like warm hot sunshine on our skin in the afternoon and cool breezes on morning hikes in the mountains.  Like hugs from friends I haven’t seen in months.  Like two unique hands joined together underneath my hand as I prayed a blessing over their marriage.  Like feet tired from dancing to the band.  Like snow trickling into my tennis shoes as we hiked up Logan’s Pass.  Like a big snugly hug on the shuttle as my son napped in my arms. 

               It smelled like fresh mountain air.  Like peanut butter hands I did my best to wipe clean after a happy picnic lunch on the mountain.  Rivers, streams and lakes we relaxed next to as my son tossed rocks into them.  Like Jordana and Melissa’s perfume from lots of hugs, scents that take me back to middle school sleepovers and long talks by the walk-in freezer at the Dairy Queen. 

               It sounded like a perfect mountain soundtrack (Fleet Foxes, Mumford and Sons, Radiohead, Of Monsters and Men, etc.) through the whole house sound system as my husband and I enjoyed a cool evening on the back deck.  Like a great reception band that had us all dancing.  Like sniffles and tears as my best friend walked down the aisle and looked beautiful at the arm of her proud father.  Like birds and rushing water at the Wildlife Refuge.  Like giggles and running at the playgrounds we stopped at.  Like whining as we hiked down the mountain in freezing rain with my sleepy son in the baby backpack on my husband.  Like “All I Want is You” as Melissa and Sean danced in a way that was so them and so adorable. 
  
             It looked like a fairytale wedding.  Sometimes it was a little blurry when my eyes filled at the sight of my best friend with her wonderful husband, happily dancing away in the beautiful mountains, in this life that she bravely created for herself and absolutely loves.  It looked like big open spaces and always mountains all around.  Snow-capped peaks, waterfalls, mountain goats, black bear, deer in the yard and a big blue sky.  It looked like my husband smiling big and loving the outdoors.  My son entertained by my friends.  Beautiful Flathead Lake while we ate our lunch.  Our friend Sheila who just happens to live in the same town we were staying in!  I have never spent much time with Sheila but every time I talk to her it is so easy and comfortable I feel like we are old friends. 
  
             It was a great trip.  I wasn’t sure how it would be sharing a house with so many people and being the only one with a child, but we did our own thing when we needed to and hung out with everyone when we could.  When I left the rehearsal dinner early because the gorgeous house was not baby-proofed and I was exhausted from chasing my son who was starting to have meltdowns from the lack of sleep, late night traveling and nonstop change, I felt a bit left out of the fun.  I think some of it was because I just left my job last week and I am at a point in my life when I am really adjusting and contemplating how much life has changed with this little guy in my life.  But even though I was with my high school friends, it isn’t high school anymore.  We don’t have to worry about being left out of the group, there is no pressure to stay out late and at the end of the day I get kisses and snuggles from a little guy who has the same round face as me and calls me mommy.  So, even the harder parts of the trip weren’t so bad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment