Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Smashing Pumpkins (December 2015)


As I stood there in the preschool pick-up line I watched as the teachers carefully checked the names on the little paper plates under the Play-Doh pumpkins and then handed them to each child as they were dismissed.  I stepped up to get my four-year-old and the teacher said “We know which one is Oscar’s.”  She then selected a flat pumpkin sitting next to all of the nice round ones.  He smiled as he took it and proudly showed me what he made.  I asked him why his was flat and I have to confess my unspoken thoughts were “he didn’t follow directions or he smashed it because he was being aggressive or he lacked some sort of fine motor skill needed to make a round Play-Doh pumpkin.”  It’s not that I don’t think he is wonderful, I do, but I was just doing what so many of us parents do and putting my own criticisms and insecurities on my child.  In a very matter of fact way he answered, “I didn’t want it to look like all the other ones.  I wanted mine to be different.”  I was embarrassed of my first assumptions and proud of him.  A  few days later when he came home with a sparkly pumpkin with eyes spread as far apart as possible I immediately congratulated him for his originality.

The world in which  my son will grow will only become more and more populated with people more and more connected and also more and more aware of standards, norms and “shoulds.”  So, I’m happy that he can see the value in being different.  After all, you don’t name your child after a Salvadoran Archbishop made famous by a radio broadcast that boldly preached against violence and stood with the severely oppressed poor people, a man who stood against what his religious authorities, friends and government demanded, unless you are prepared for a child who can go against the grain.

I thought about this as my mom and I were having a conversation later.  I was explaining to her that I wanted to turn our basement into a play room because right now the play room is the first room people walk into.  I told her, “it looks crazy and cluttered walking into a room of toys.”  She looked at me with surprise and said, “you’ve never cared about that.”  It’s true.  We have a purple living room, a “Florida mango” nursery, a bright red living room with a chalk board wall and a bright blue fireplace.  Our house is decorated with bright colors and things that we have picked up on our travels or been gifted, things that have meaning for us.  Lately though as I found myself in other people’s homes for parties and play dates I have looked at their carefully coordinated walls, uncluttered and impossibly clean surfaces and found myself rethinking our decorating strategy.  But my mom is right … that’s not me.

I remember nine years ago when I began my first appointment in ministry trying to figure out who I was as a pastor.  I worked with a wonderful senior pastor who had his own way of doing things but never pushed that on me, he encouraged and supported his associates as they expressed their own pastoral voice.  That was great, but I needed to find that voice.  There are so many decisions to  make in ministry.  I would find myself wondering how other pastors I knew would respond to situations.  It was stressful and uncomfortable.  Eventually, I gained confidence and began to find my own way.  It became a balance of learning from others while also being the unique person God called.

All these years later and I’m still in that process.  Figuring out how to be who I am as a mom, spouse, friend, preacher, someone who can learn from others without losing my unique voice.  Lately I especially find myself wondering what is next for me in life.  How do I balance the strong sense of calling I feel for ministry with the rhythms we have established as a family.  As I look for models to follow or expectations from others, I have to remind myself to be who I am and find my own way.

So I have decided to embrace the chaos a bit.  Yesterday we decorated the outside of our house for Christmas and I decided to bring up all the decorations, even the weird light up snowman we bought years ago and never figured out what to do with.  I even brought up the wooden Mr. and Mrs. Claus figures that were left in our house by the previous owners.  I knew my one year old would love that they were the same size as him.  I hung up the snowman, stuck the wooden figures in the ground and put every working string of lights on our bushes.  I laughed when I looked at it and told my husband to feel free to edit.  He did.  He went into the house and came out with a big plastic candy cane stick and stuck it right between the yellowed wooden Santa Claus and the Mrs. Claus who for some reason  has aged much better.  It was finished.  The kids loved it.

I remember as a kid being completely baffled by plain white lights, it seemed like a wasted opportunity.  Now I think white lights are very pretty and look lovely, but it’s not me.  I’m the house with the lights with big bulbs because they remind me of the house I grew up in.  The one with the bright blue fireplace that matches the knickknacks from Mexico and India we got during our travels.  The one with the gel clings on the front window that don’t make any sense because I promised the kids I would let them be in charge of that part of the decorating.  I’m the house with the flattened Play-Doh pumpkin inside, where we are all trying to figure out what it means to live in community, build relationships, learn from others and still use our unique voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment